Wednesday, February 21, 2007

morning run

I took my new iPod with me on my morning run. It didn't work. The iPod worked fine, but not as a running companion.

The headphones that came with it, ear buds I think they're called didn't stay in my ears. One would fall out. I would put it back in, then the other would fall out. then they would both fall out. I tried several times and then I realized I was trying to hold my head unnaturally still which was only going to give me a stiff neck and ruin my running form.

For awhile, then, I carried the heaphones and paused the music, then put them back in and started the music again on my walk breaks. But I noticed as soon as the music started my thinking stopped. Running is valuable prayer time, for me. the time that I try to listen to what the wisdom source of the universe is telling me. It's important that my mind be open and aware. It was nice listening to Bjork's Big Time Sensuality as I ran, and there's certainly something of the divine in her music, but it wasn't a message just for me, just for that morning, directly from the heart of the universe.

I could easily buy a better pair of headphones. But I don't want to seal myself off from the world in a cocoon of other people's creativity. I want to be a creator myself, a conduit of the creative spirit of the universe, through me, out to the world. I can only do that if I let myself hear it. Not to bring old music with me, but to listen to the music of the morning as it plays itself around me.

2 comments:

Eve said...

How about putting your thoughts into a "podcast" for the rest of us to listen to while we run?

From Eve

Rick Hoyt-McDaniels said...

Great idea. I'm working on this. I also plan to have my sermons available in audio format soon. Keep checking back. And I'm glad to know there's interest out there for this.