Thursday, March 8, 2007

sad duty

I accompanied my husband, Peleg, and his mother as we helped her take one of her dogs, Luna, a dalmation, to the vet this afternoon to be put down. I didn't know the dog well, but she is special to me because Luna is the granddaughter of a dog that Peleg and I own.

Luna suffered from severe rheumatism in her hind legs compounded by degenerative nerve damage. She could no longer stand or walk. And the vet confirmed that there was no treatment available that would reverse or even stop the progressive nerve disease. The dog was so sweet. She was completely quiet, and not in any obvious pain, but clearly uncomfortable and confused by the physical limitations which had come on quickly over the last month or so.

I carried her to the car, laid her down in the back and sat with her as we drove over. Then I carried her into the office and arranged her on my lap as we waited for the doctor. She's a little too large for a lap and with her hind legs stiff and straight it was a bit of a struggle to hold her but I felt I wanted to.

And then we took her into the back. The doctor was very kind and reassuring. We helped Luna to lie down and said our goodbyes and then we let her go. She went very quickly and entirely peacefully.

How hard it is to lose something we love. How strange to see life go. Luna's hind legs returned to their natural supleness again. We spoke soft words to Luna, and touched her gently. We said prayers and comforting things to each other. And we cried. We stayed in the office a long time just stroking Luna's fur and remarking how beautiful she was, and noticing how quickly her body started to cool.

And then it was time to go. What more could we do standing there with her body? We paid the bill, got back in the car, and drove home. Cherish the ones you love.

No comments: