Saturday, April 7, 2007

Seder


Peleg and I hosted a Seder dinner at our house this year. His two brothers came and mom and dad, plus several friends and two children for a total of 15 plus one baby. We carried our dining room table outside and put it end to end with the patio table. Peleg did all the cooking. I set the table and wrote a new Haggadah based on my sermon from the previous Sunday. Peleg's mother arranged the Seder plate and explained all the symbols to us. She did a beautiful job. Peleg's father said the blessings in Hebrew. The baby screamed. The children ran around.


The food and the children needed attending to and three people came late so at any point in the reading of the Haggadah we were lucky to have half the attendees at the table. But we just kept going. As the leader of the service I tried to be a Moses, as I encouraged us all to be in the words I wrote. Of course there will be distractions and set backs in any big worthy project. Just keep going, stay flexible, and trust even when faced with a seemingly insurmountable obstacle that a way wil appear. Moses took 40 years to get his people to the promised land. I made it through a 40 minute Seder. And then we enjoyed a great meal.

No comments: