Thursday, May 3, 2007

bump in the road

Two days ago I was driving up to the church. On the freeway a car in front of me and one lane to the right ran over a big piece of shredded tire. His wheel picked up the rubber, flipped it into the air, and it landed directly in front of me. If I had been certain there was no one in the lane next to me I could have swerved. But not being sure, and not having enough time to check my blind spot I just gripped the wheel and ran it over. It hit the underside of my car with a terrific crash and nervously I continued on until I was assured that I hadn't actually damaged the car.

I forgot about it during the day. After an evening meeting I drove home in the dark. As I neared home again I ran over something in the road. In the darkness I never saw it coming but I heard it and felt it in the jolt of the car. I still don't know what it was. Again it was a crash significant enough that I worried that I might have damaged the car, or blown a tire. But everything seemed to be fine. And the next day when I had a chance to examine the underside of the car in the daylight I couldn't see any evidence of having hit anything.

Spiritual lessons about roads and obstacles are pretty common. I won't add a comment.

No comments: