Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Me, a lawyer

I've always had this dream to be a lawyer. And I probably never will be.

Easter is the season of new life. I've talked about the number of lives each of us have during the one life we have. I've been an artist, and an administrator, and now a minister. So it's possible to have more than one life within the one life all of us get.

But it's not possible to have an unlimited number of lives. There are only so many interests any of us can pursue. We have to choose. And choosing to follow one path means choosing not to follow others.

I think I'd be a good lawyer. The kinds of questions that lawyers analyze appeal to me, questions of language and logic, and also the values of justice and equality the law is meant to uphold. I'd like to work with some social justice oriented organization, gay rights, or the environment, perhaps.

That path isn't entirely closed. I could study through an online course and keep my job at the church. It would take me several years and a lot of money. I'd be well into my 50s by the time I got my JD. Then there's the question of whether any one would hire me at that age with no experience. And the question of whether I'd really rather have that life or the one I already have.

No comments: