Thursday, July 5, 2007

baseball and beer

Peleg and I went to the Dodger game Tuesday night. We'd gotten half price tickets through a ticket discounter, on the field but way out at the end of the third base line. But there were a ton of empty seats so after the second inning we moved over and sat about 12 rows up from third base.

It was a good game. Lots of scoring in the first three innings: home runs, double plays, a stolen base, a walk home. We sat close enough that we could easily follow all the action. I had a beer. The day had been sunny and the evening was warm. It was good to spend time with Peleg after he had been so busy with cooking school the last six months.

I was admiring the skill of the players, how handsome they were. I was thinking how cool to spend an evening playing a game and how 40,000 people had come out just to watch. We seemed so far removed from Iraq, and religious intolerance, and political incompetence, and all the human tragedies we inflict on each other. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be great if the whole world were baseball and beer?"

No comments: