Friday, July 20, 2007

maybe next time

I've been taking swimming lessons this summer in the thought that I would tackle a triathlon this fall. It looks like that won't happen. I picked up a copy of the "Competitor" magazine the last time I was at the gym, a newsletter with a calendar of events, (they publish local editions nationwide). The two triathlons I'd been thinking about both happen on days I'm not available due to church duties. In fact nearly all the events happen on Sundays which mean I'm available for very few unless I plan six or more months in advance to take the day off. The next triathlon in the local area I could actually get to is the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and that one is a full tri and I'm looking for Olympic distance. So it look like it will be spring at the earliest.

A friend asked me if I've been doing much drawing lately. I'm pretty good at it but I don't do it very often. I said no. He asked why. I realized that the answer is that I just don't have time. I tend to only ever get to draw when I'm on vacation.

I do an awful lot of stuff but there's even more I would like to do if I had the time. There are time management strategies designed to help us re-claim time we waste, or prioritize our time correctly, but the bottom line is that human lives are finite. Saying yes to some things means saying no to others. The theological question is, then, if we are capable of doing/learning/experiencing/enjoying more than we can fit into one life, will there be more life available for us after this one? Why would God create us with more potential then we can manifest in one life, unless there was actually a scheme to give us more than one life?

1 comment:

Earthbound Spirit said...

You've been tagged for the "8 random things" meme at Earthbound Spirit's blog. Hope you feel inclined to participate!