Saturday, September 22, 2007

the 10,000 steps

For the last 24 years I've been part of a medical study doing AIDS research. I go in to a doctor's office twice a year where I submit to a full physical; neurological, muscle strength and mental acuity tests; and extensive interviews about my health, drug use (perscription and recreational) and sex practices. I had my latest appointment yesterday.

To continue in a study that many years takes a lot of commitment so the researchers are always very grateful and usually they try to give us participants a little thank you gift for coming in. Usually it's a pen or a note pad. This last visit they gave me a pedometer that clips to my belt and supposedly counts how my steps.

i understand that you're supposed to shoot for 10,000 steps a day. Yesterday I logged only about 1200 steps on a day when I spent all afternoon sitting on a couch at a coffee shop writing a sermon. So far today I'm already up to 1800 steps and that includes taking my dogs for a walk. I can see where someone could get obsessive about this. On the other hand I don't know how accurate a free pedometer really is, or even whether 10,000 steps is really the appropriate measure.

1 comment:

Jamie Goodwin said...

I have been reassured that they are fairly accurate, unless one glides like Grace Kelly or shambles like John Wayne, by a couple of medical people I know.

Never have used one myself though.