Friday, January 11, 2008

ministerial duties

I had a tough choice to make yesterday when I was rushing to meet a non-professional commitment I had with the gay men's chorus, and came across a scene where I was called to ministry. I chose the chorus commitment but even today I'm torn about my choice. Here's what happened.

I was attending a meeting of our Membership Team. We started at 5 and I made sure everyone knew that I needed to leave at 6. At about 6:10 I was able to get away. As I was leaving the meeting place I heard the screech and slam of a car crash out at the street. As I got to the street I saw that the driveway was blocked, and worse as I saw the two people getting out of the car I realized they were two women from my church.

I got out of my car and went to see what was going on. Both the women were OK. They had been making a left turn into the driveway and a car coming toward them had hit the rear of the car. After some initial inquiries and assessment I made the choice to go on to my appointment. I went back into the meeting I had left and told the other church members what had happened and got one of them to come out and wait with the women. And then I left. I learned today that one of the women had gone to the emergency room for an x-ray and then been released.

It's exactly the kind of circumstance when ministerial presence is called for: organizing, comforting, mediating, gathering and sharing information. I would have liked to have been involved, and wish I could have. But the situation shows that ministers like everyone else, have limited resources of presence and the need to balance obligations to their call and to their personal life.

No comments: