Sunday, August 10, 2008

lost and found

The streets in my neighborhood are narrow with no sidewalks and with cars parked on either side only enough room in the middle of the street for a single car. So there's a lot of good natured maneuvering and waving involved. So I'm walking my dog this afternoon, walking in the street and I hear a car coming up behind me. I pull my dog over to the side of the road to let the car pass. But instead of passing the car slows way down and pulls over behind me. I realize the car isn't trying to drive but to park and I'm still in the way.

At the same time I see an interesting object in the road, lying where the guy will park on top of it. It's a small tear-shaped piece of pearl gray plastic, about three inches long, and maybe an inch or so thick. I thought at first it might be a head set for a phone. With the guy in the car right behind me I stop and bend down and pick it up. I can't figure out what it is. There's no screen, but there is a battery door on the back so it's obviously electronic. I couldn't figure out what it was so I just put it back on the ground and got out of the car's way. Then as I walk off I hear the car behind me pull into the parking space and then this:

From the door of a house across the street a girl emerges and shouts, "Get back in the car, we're going right away!" From the driver of the car, "OK, Get my jacket." The girl calls into the house, "Mom, get dad's jacket." And then from the driver again, "Honey look what I found!" The girls answers, "OO where was it?" The dad answers, "Right here lying in the street."

I like to think the guy only found it because he saw me stooping to pick it up first and wondered what I was doing. I still don't know what it was.

No comments: