Thursday, September 4, 2008

nature stinks

My dog got sprayed by a skunk last week. We have them in the neighborhood and smell them fairly often. This one was probably on our back patio when the dog encountered her. I didn't see it. I was sitting in the livingroom reading when the dog comes running in rapidly followed by the most awful smell. It's not just a stink when it's that close it's also eye-stinging and throat constricting. The dog was blinking its eyes and shaking it's head and trying to make a sound like clearing its throat.

Fortunately this was the day before my wrist surgery so I still had the use of both arms. I scooped her arm and got her in to the tub and shampooed her twice. Then I dried her off and threw the towel and all my clothes into the washing machine. She still smelled. Then I took a second to do some internet research and found that tomato juice and most other things don't work. Following one piece of advice I found I rubbed her with dishwashing liquid and baking soda and then I shampooed her a third time.

That was the best I can do. The smell still lingers, especially if you rub her head or neck. We've bathed her think three more times in the last week. She seems not to mind but hoo-boy.

1 comment:

fausto said...

Best formula I've found is:

1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid
1 cup baking soda
1 quart hydrogen peroxide