Thursday, May 15, 2008

my letter to the editor re: marriage equality

Dear Editor -

RE: California Supreme Court ruling on Marriage equality

My partner and I were married in a religious ceremony in the Unitarian Universalist church a year and a half ago. We have been registered domestic partners for several years. Following Thursday’s ruling of the California Supreme Court we will soon enjoy the same dignity and respect as other marriages through full legal recognition.

I am proud to be a Californian and a Unitarian Universalist today. Our denomination has been at the forefront of advocating for equal rights regardless of sexual orientation. Our denomination has called for same sex marriage by resolutions at our General Assembly for more than 20 years. And our clergy have been blessing same-sex relationships in some cases for more than 50 years. More directly, my Santa Clarita Valley congregation was one of the many religious organizations in California that added our name to an interfaith Amicus brief that was part of this present case before the California Supreme Court. I had also signed the brief as an independent clergy supporter.

Today’s Supreme Court ruling is an affirmation of my faith in a loving God who celebrates the flowering of love wherever it appears, and who urges each of us to express our individuality, celebrate our diversity, support each other equally, and create safe communities for all of us to live our full deep selves.

Rev. Ricky Hoyt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My home church in the UK was the first to end straight weddings in solidarity with the ban on church gay weddings. Check out my 19 April post.