Saturday, March 3, 2007

Mental Edge

Yesterday I drove the marathon route, start to finish. I wanted to have a full picture of the run in my head before I started so I would know what to expect and how to prepare. I drove slowly noticing things like a slight rise, or a stretch without shade. And I tried to imagine how I might feel at each mile: here I'll be inspired and feeling good, this is going to be a tough patch.

I've learned during the training period that like much in life, success or failure is largely mental. There's the aspect of positive thoughts, telling yourself "I can do this" "I feel healthy and strong" rather than "this is hard" "My knee is killing me" "I don't think I can make it." And there's also the mental aspect that comes from preparedness and discipline.

Having surveyed the course and developed a mental picture, I've now moved the run out of the place of "It's all new to me" and part of the way toward, "This is familiar." That sense of "I've done this before" lets me borrow a little of that confidence we develop when we come back to something a second time.

Physically yesterday's drive will make no difference at all during the run. But I'll have created a brain advantage that will help pull my body to the finish line.

No comments: