Tuesday, April 10, 2007

heard rehearsal

Peleg and two friends of ours visiting from Israel attended last night's rehearsal of the Gay Men's Chorus. It was great to have them there. I noticed in my own singing how much more inspired I was, energized, and focused, because I had somebody to sing for. Singing to yourself is fun, we all do it in the shower and the car, but to have that experience augmented by a set of ears other than your own, really makes the music-making complete. I'm sure that sensation of being heard, and thus inspired to greater musicality will be even greater during the actual performances.

It's that need to scream, "Watch me mommy!" before we jump off the diving board. We want to be noticed. But not necessarily in a ego-driven way. It's an urge to be present, to be involved, to be personally recognized for bringing ourselves to the situation. It gives our lives meaning and purpose. "I did this." I contributed this piece to the ongoing creation of the world. And that's a good thing.

To notice someone else adding their piece is a holy act. Go ahead and do your dive, mommy's watching. But even if mommy isn't around, it is part of God's job description to be the universal noticer. God sees, and appreciates, and that gives all of our life, even the quiet, routine and private portions, meaning and purpose.

No comments: