Thursday, April 19, 2007

sing out louise

We had our dress rehearsal tonight, at the Alex theater in Glendale. I parked my car a couple of blocks away on a side street. When I had walked down to the corner I checked the street name so I would know where to find my car later and noticed I had parked on Louise street.

Louise was the name of my grandmother. She was a piano teacher and she taught me to play piano and read music when I was a very young boy. It's really because of her that I developed an interest in music, or at least she got my musical talent started earlier than I would have found it on my own.

My grandmother lived well into her eighties and then died, about 20 years ago. Seeing her name as I walked to our final rehearsal I thought how great it would have been to have her come to the show. I think she would have been proud of me. And the Duke Ellington music would have been familiar to her.

Sometimes I see the sadness in the fact that we don't live forever. Think of all the wonderful things that will happen after we're gone. I wish I wouldn't miss them. I hate for my grandmother to miss the concert. The least I can do is think of her as we sing. For you, Louise.

No comments: